Awakening by Julliette1919

Monday 24 January 2011

Who controls 'the news'?.

What happened on Friday at the Chilcott enquiry? I have heard very little about Blair's most recent performance except that he is still making aggressive comments towards Iran.
Speaking of which, why have the BBC and ITN been attacking Press TV recently?
Press TV is funded by the Iranian Government and you might expect it to be like the old style flag waving tool of Government. It is actually not this at all. It may be a more subtle tool, but it gives very fair reports, careful to bring in a wide selection of experts, different viewpoints and a historical perspective to its articles.
I find it much less biassed and far more informative than our own homegrown news. I especially enjoy Comment on a Thursday at 7pm, The Agenda, and the Epilogue.
There is so much going on in the World at the moment, yet our news grows more and more like the kids programme, Newsround.
When I was a child, we were always told that we had a news service to be proud of. I have not felt proud of it for many years. There is a terrible bias towards the USA and a tendency to ignore anything that might cause the general public to question our governments behaviour abroad.
I really do not know who is sabotaging our news. I do not think it can simply be that we are not producing the same calibre of reporters. The news channels of Al Jazeera and Press find their reporters from the same batch and they do a brilliant job.
I have to assume that someone is pressurising the big Brittish networks. I know channel 4 showed a stunning eye-opening programme a while back that showed the influence of Isreali groups in ensuring they did not suffer from accurate reporting of events. This explained a lot about the content of the programmes but not why our government would allow such behaviour.
I havent seen the new newspaper the i yet but I really do hope it lives up to its hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment